The Apartment Angels program
Before you call for information, read all the information on this page.
DAA does not provide emergency housing or financial assistance. Please contact your local non-profit groups for resources.
What is the Apartment Angels program?
The Apartment Angels Program (Apartment Angels THP, Inc.) helps individuals and families in financial need. Utilizing support and donations from the Delaware Apartment Association (DAA) members, the program will provide SIX months of FREE RENT to individuals awarded housing through the program. There is open enrollment twice per year (spring and fall). Individuals who are awarded housing are able to move into their free apartment in June and December.
Housing is awarded to individuals/families who have a history of being responsible renters, but became victims of the economic recession through no fault of their own OR were dramatically or negatively impacted financially by a one-time, life altering event. This program is not intended for individuals that have habitual evictions and a history of habitual collection accounts. This program is intended to greatly reduce the “normal” financial burden of housing, so that individuals participating in the program will have time to reposition themselves financially, in the workforce, and with regards to their rental housing history.
- Applicant(s) must fill out the program application.
- Applicant(s) must be a Delaware resident in good standing, residing in the state for at least the last 24 months.
- Applicant(s) must have no criminal convictions for seven years.
- Applicant(s) must pass a comprehensive landlord reference verification process (examination of any previous NON-FINANCIAL lease violations).
- Applicant(s) must have been displaced from housing in the last 18 months.
- Applicant(s) must not have more than one (1) eviction in the last five years.
- Applicant(s) must have limited (non-medical or non-educational) collection accounts on credit report that PRE-DATES the current economic hardship (collections accounts that are more than 24 months old).
- Applicant(s) must not exceed the occupancy restrictions of (4) individuals.